Namecheap or godaddy?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Jasmin Cottontail, May 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail New Member

I plan to get my own domain name and I don't know which of these two companies should I go with. I've checked both of them and compared prices and I can see that GoDaddy offers a cheaper price on it's first year compared to Namecheap. Aside from the pricing comparison, I want to know about their support, security and other important stuffs before deciding which one to get. Thanks!

2. rz3300

rz3300 New Member

I am still a little curious about GoDaddy, and I am pretty sure that I have been telling myself to look more into it for about the last ten years, but never really went ahead and did anything. Maybe the time has finally come.

3. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail New Member

So were you able to choose a different domain name provider aside from GoDaddy? How about Namecheap? Have you considered using it as an alternative for GoDaddy? I've seen a lot of good reviews from GoDaddy users and there are also a few complaints here and there but still I'm looking for other feedbacks before I decide which one to use.

4. braveyard

braveyard New Member

Base on my experience, I think GoDaddy is a good recommendation for starters with no or minimal experience of domain name. GoDaddy is popular and for that you can simply search or Google the procedures to register your domain name, which I am sure you will have bunch of good writers that have explained it to details. For it is very easy to use and follow and also cheap.

5. GraceB

GraceB New Member

NameCheap all the way. Been with them over five years, and have nothing but good things to say about them.
    You should also consider renewal fees and domain WHOIS privacy, should you want to use it, as those are really the things where any registrar makes their money. Remember 1&1 selling domains for $1? The catch? Over $25 for renewal! That's just daylight robbery!

6. Kia

Kia New Member

I think that NameCheap actually has cheaper offers the last time I've checked... even for the renewal after the first year. Anyway, I am personally on NameCheap right now and I'm absolutely loving the hosting so far. I am in the process of setting the whole website up (content, pictures and so on). I'd highly recommend it because I had some issue due to my own stupidy and their support responded right away and guided me through the entire process. A very nice bunch of people :)

7. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

If you are looking for support, Namecheap is the best option. Your ticket will be answered in less than 10 minutes 24 X 7. On Go daddy it will take at least 48 hours. First year price on name cheap is very cheap, however, renewal charges are really high. I paid $32 for a domain renewal that I got for 88 cents. They say Go Daddy is a good place to buy domains but not a great hosting company.

8. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

If you are looking for support, Namecheap is the best option. Your ticket will be answered in less than 10 minutes 24 X 7. On Go daddy it will take at least 48 hours. First year price on name cheap is very cheap, however, renewal charges are really high. I paid $32 for a domain renewal that I got for 88 cents. They say Go Daddy is a good place to buy domains but not a great hosting company.

9. reddyash

reddyash Administrator Staff Member

All domain names I have bought are all from godaddy. I agree godaddy offers lower rates for the first year but the renewal rates are little high. I never had any issues with any of my domains with godaddy so never tried any other companies.
    I heard good reviews on namecheap but need to see how are there renewal rates.