Should i buy all extensions??

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by J Greig, Oct 20, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. J Greig

J Greig New Member

When purchasing a domain name for one of my websites and/or forums, should I purchase extra domain extensions aswell as the one I will be using? for instance, I use a .net for my forum, but should I really be purchasing the .com, .org, .info extensions with it? I would hate for my forum to become even more popular and active and someone else snaps up the same domain as me, just with another extension.

Is it worth buying the extra?

Kaynil likes this.
  2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I don't think it is wise to spend money for so many domain names. One domain name is enough, all you need is to get the appropriate domain name extension (provider) like .net as in your example. Isn't it confusing to see a website with the name alexandoy.net, alexandoy.com, alexandoy.etc when it is supposed to be just one website (more likely you will be redirected to the original .net when you click on the other domain names)? Just take your pick if it is .com or .net or .org or any other suffix. Our office website is in the .org provider since we are a non-profit organization.

3. moondebi

moondebi Member

When you buy a domain name of your choice, the extension automatically comes with it, depending on the type of the site. If you pay for sites with the same domain names with different extensions, only the money gets spoiled as the sites will look redundant. There is always a chance of your site getting replicated, but you have little to do with that. Generally, by paying money, nobody willingly selects a domain name, which already exists.

4. nailah783

nailah783 New Member

If you do buy the different extensions, it could send people to your site that may have forgotten what the extension of your site was. I wouldn't purchase a .gov because that is for government use, or anything like that, but .com, .org, and .net might work for your page. It really depends on your needs.

Kaynil likes this.
  5. Mihailo

Mihailo New Member

I think that is wasting of money. You should buy just one domain name. If they know your forum name, tell will google it if they have forgotten the extension. But, that is your choice. You can buy the top three domain names, if you want.

It is better to buy the domain names if you become popular. For example, for one or two years. Good luck with your forum.

6. Dewlance

Dewlance New Member

You are using .net so If .com domain is available then purchase it and do not purchase all other TLDs. Only .com is more important because of If your forum will become popular then many users will type .com instead of .net so you can redirect them.

But do not purchase .com until you get enough users because of running forum is hard task specially getting a forum users and visitors.

Kaynil likes this.
  7. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

If you have budget, buying couple of extension can be a good idea. You never know when your website will grow big and someone might cash on this. What ever domain extension you are using, make sure you also have dotcom.

8. Binu

Binu Member

If your website has a potential to grow big, you should definitely buy the major extensions. Since .com is the major extension you should definitely have this extension, buying .net, .info etc depends on your budget and the type of website.

Kaynil likes this.
  9. Jason76

Jason76 Member

I don't think it makes much a difference. If you have the .com, then whenever someone thinks of your title, for example, Used Cars, then they will automatically think of UsedCars.com. Possibly this whole situation involving buying the .net and/or .org is a scheme by companies to get more money via registrations.

10. NormaD

NormaD New Member

I don't think there is a need to do so. If you just focus on building your brand the right way, you will be the one that is on the top of everyone's mind whether it's with a .com or a .net extension. Even if you do decide to buy the other extensions, you don't have to use them, you can still just focus on the one.

11. Kaynil

Kaynil New Member

It is not a need, but if you already are thinking that you would like to do it when your place gets more popular might as well get them now just to be safe.

I don't think you need to buy each extension but if you can get, like someone else suggested above, at least the com, you should be good.

If you are doing it to facilitate things with your members and have money to spare you could instead of buying all the extension, buy the common typos, so even if your members make the mistake they still get redirected to your site. Although, to be fair that is more something that big companies do, so it is not a particularly pressing matter.

So in conclusion, my advice would be to buy the .com now, since it is the one more likely to get taken, and just wait out before deciding if also getting some of the rest.

12. tony

tony Member

Well if you have the money I would advice buying all the extensions. You can go for all the extensions and direct all the others to the one that you are actually operating. For example if you are actually going to develop the .com extension you can direct all click on the .net, .org and other extensions to the .com. If your site flourishes this can help protect your site name from being mimic by others opting for this popular extensions with your site name.

Kaynil likes this.
  13. Jason76

Jason76 Member

Buying all the domain extensions can be selfish. If one person buys them up, then another creative person has no chance to uniquely develop the idea associated with the domain. It's sort of like a rich guy buying up all the good land.

14. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon Rasheed New Member

I would like to say that if you buy all the available domains then it is just your waste of money.Its not good to spend your more money on buying different domains.If your site has a good potential then you should definitely buy some domains but not more.If your site has a popularity among people then you should buy only major extensions.

15. GraceB

GraceB New Member

If you can't even come up with an original name, how could I think that your content will be creative either? What I'm trying to say is that you need a special and unique name for your content anyways, so if something has been taken why not just move on? I wouldn't compare domains to real estate in this manner, because they are not really alike at all, because all of them should be thought as individuals.

16. barida

barida New Member

I do not think that it is that necessary to be getting any extension domain, but since you already have fears about someone snapping up a similar domain like your, then I suggest you go for the .com domain which is quite popular.

You know that once we have fears about certain things, it sometimes comes to pass. So, try and get the .com domain now no matter the cost so as to be on a safer side and not having regrets in the future.

Best of luck in any decision you finally decide to take!

17. power2

power2 New Member

I agree there is no need to buy all the extensions since it would far better and profitable to focus on one extension to improve and grow your website.